The Opole Zoological Garden is located in the beautiful park on Bolko Island near centrum Opole city. ZOO was created in the 30s of the last century. World War II brought annihilation of the all animal collection and totally destroyed area of zoological garden. 22 July 1953 the ZOO was officially reopened by the Social Restoration Committee. In this time a great success was the fact that Asiatic Black Bear and Red-Necked Wallaby had offspring here for the first time in Poland. From 1996 a new conception of zoo development appeared, according to which animals originating from different continents would be exhibited in separate garden areas, the so-called geographic lands. In 1997 the zoo was on the point of closing down because of the huge flood which came to Opole and completely destroyed the buildings and facilities on Bolko Island. In 1998 the zoo was one more time opened to the public. The area was expanded to nearly 30 hectares. For the first time in the history the zoo in Opole accommodated giraffes, red pandas and various species of apes and monkeys. Breeding lemurs, tamarins, marmoset gibbons and ungulates became its speciality. In 2005 the gorillas island was opened and two years later the california sea lions pool accommodating the only representatives of this species in Poland. There are over 1400 specimens animals in 293 species on the big, natural, mixed species exhibitions.